The Waterfront Museum is open two days a week for free tours of the barge. A virtual barge tour is available anytime by clicking here.
The Waterfront Museum is open on SATURDAYS 1-5pm and THURSDAYS 4-8pm (Closed the last two weeks of December) for free tours for families and individuals when the barge is docked in Red Hook.
Cross the gangway onto the historic 1914 vessel. The Lehigh Valley Barge #79 is on the National Register of Historic Places–the only wooden barge of its kind still floating. Group tours are available for a fee any day by appointment by completing this form or by calling David Sharps at (718) 624-4719.
A visit includes a look at the captain’s original living quarters, the tools used by longshoremen and other waterfront workers, and the gongs and bells of the tug and barge system. Docents tell the story of the barge’s rescue from the mud and kids love the ball machine that whirls, jumps and plays music via gravity.